Wednesday, January 29, 2020
As you may be aware, on Jan. 25, 2020, Ontario identified its first presumptive confirmed case for the Wuhan novel coronavirus. The coronavirus has been identified at the same time that influenza (also known as the flu) and many other respiratory viruses are circulating in Ontario, which is common at this time of the year.
The Simcoe County District School Board works very closely with, and takes our direction from, the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit and other healthcare partners on all matters such as this, that impact the health and well-being of our students and staff.
The Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health has assured us that, at this time, the risk to Ontarians remains low, and has provided the following tips on how to prevent the spread of coronavirus and other respiratory viruses:
- get a yearly influenza vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies (for flu only);
- wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
- cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze;
- if you don't have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm; and,
- if you or your family members are ill, stay home.